As part of the current COVID-19 crisis, we are currently evaluating possible e-learning scenarios together with the e-learning service team of the University of Göttingen.
We are currently focussing on BigBlueButton an open source video conferencing tool that, in addition to conventional video conference functions such as screen sharing and chat, is also suitable for e-learning scenarios. The tool is based on HTML5, runs in the browser and does not require any software installation.
BigBlueButton offers the following features that go beyond pure video conferencing:
- Upload and show presentations
- Annotation function for presentations (also by multiple users inside)
- Download function of the presentations for participants inside
- Establishment of so-called “break-out rooms” for group work
- Note function
- Conducting surveys
- Recording options for the conference
- Individual sessions with up to 100 people
A test instance is currently available at https://bbb-test.gwdg.de. Please log in using your respective UID (e.g. mmuster). Invited participants do not have to register, only the host of the room has to be logged in.
Tutorial videos can be found at https://bigbluebutton.org/html5/.
We kindly ask you to give us feedback of your meeting experience here. Thank you!